Restumping is also called reblocking; this process involves replacing the vertical stumps of a building in which the subfloor is made up. This process is done when the existing house stumps have moved due to the movement of soil or when the stumps made of timber gets rotted due to moisture content in the soil. It is suggested that if a house is undergoing any sort of renovation then it should be reblocked because the structure will be facing more strain during renovation. This process needs a proper understanding and correct execution. or else it could harm both property and lives.Now let us discuss the signs that are prominent and help the client to understand that the house needs reblocking.
Some of the pints are mentioned below:
- When the interior walls are cracking one after the other
- When the doors and windows are not functioning in a proper manner
- When the floors get uneven, slanted or soft
- When living in any coastal area which has a high level of moisture in the soil
- When the house has been standing more than 30 years
- Lastly, when the exterior facade or brickwork is cracking
Although the houses are differently built on different grounds and soil conditions that is why each house shows different ways of deterioration. If in any case the failed stumping is not properly treated then the result would be very dangerous as the structure would collapse either partially or entirely..
If the client only wants partial reblocking in some parts of the house then this would be involving a high amount of risk. When the rotten stumps are removed and replaced with new ones then later on the others may collapse the total structure. If as a viewer we see that the wooden stumps are absolutely fine in appearance but they start rotting for the ground and replacing only a few from a set would not be helpful.
The experts who come for the process of reblocking check the wooden stump by digging the ground up to 10cm. If the wood displays the signs of scratching then it’s an indicator that the wood is damaged and needs to be replaced. So it is advisable to fix it before the home drops down because of no support below. Watermarks are also to keep in mind. The high marks are where the moisture absorbed is at a greater rate in the wood. The percentage level for replacement should be more than 20 to 30% of the stumps.
Steps to reblock a home:
- Firstly, the steps should be taken to clear which stumps need to be replaced by checking the amount of deterioration
- Then the entire building is jacked up and the old stumps are removed
- Properly the existing stumps are packed for disposal
- Lastly, the movement of the stumps can cause other adjustments as well like the window or door may get jammed, damage of the tiles, cracks can be seen in the plasterwork etc.
The stumps for reblocking done these days are made up of different materials. Usually, these are concrete and galvanized steel stumps. The reason behind this is because it does not get influenced by any external things like termites. Steel is a material that is quite adjustable and flexible to work with. This is the greatest advantage that is noted at the time of installation of the stumps. This helps to save both times as well as efforts of the workers and the owner of the home.
Even though it is a little expensive process but it’s worth paying. A high standard of measures are taken by professional workers. The reblocking is a difficult and messy job, so maintaining structural integrity is very essential.