Versatile new rights are given on how companies gather and process their private information. This took place under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). GDPR provided this right to EU residents and anyone who does business with EU companies. It combines together to form many DSAR requests and rights.
One of them includes – The Right to Access. This right helps people to learn what their company knows about them. Plus, how to use that specific information for subject access. Looking at this right, the CCPA also established similar rights. CCPA refers to the California Consumer Privacy Act. You might wonder how they get this piece of information from you? It’s done with the help of a data subject access request. You need to learn some rules in order to stay compliant to the customer data privacy regulations.
Meaning of Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)
As per the recital 63 of GDPR –
- ”Data subject must have the right of access to the private data gathered in concern to him/her”
- ‘To exercise the right at reasonable intervals, easily and quickly’.
- ‘To be aware of, and verify all the lawfulness of the process and processing’.
Another section 2 of CCPA says that –
- ‘It’s the intent of the legislature to forward California’s right to privacy’.
- It can be done in an effective way for controlling their personal information through rights.
- It’s basically the right of Californians to access their personal information.
On the whole, there are different definitions as per distinct sections. It’s up to you to choose the one that you can follow.
A DSAR is a data request used for storing personal information. Generally, the request comes from someone you store data on for your company. Moreover, they can submit this request anytime. No obligations for the time duration. But, you’re obligated to give a response to the copy of relevant information on the subject. DSRA is not a new concept. Governments have used them for many years now. As per the recent data privacy regulations of customers, many changes have been made. This has made it easier for the individuals to make their requests. All these transformations go a long way towards the transparent data processing process. And, they create a challenge for many companies like yours.
Let’s See What’s Included in DSAR Requests?
It requests a list of personal information on a subject. In a few cases, there might be specific intricate details only. But, you’re obligated to provide whatever the information is available to you. Subjects can request you many things like –
- Confirmations to process your private data
- Access to your private information
- Lawful basis for processing the data
- Periodic tables in which data is stored as long as you’re a customer
- Relevant information on how data is gathered
- Automated decision making along with profiling
- Names of third parties and information shared with them
Individuals don’t need any reason to submit a DSAR. Generally, the subjects can request to see their data anytime of the day. Companies usually ask questions regarding private information only at a specific place.
To briefly conclude, the information might act like a burden if you don’t keep it to the subject. You’ll have to implement the data mapping process to track the storage of data. Many reporting tools are also available to pull information from various sources. All this is done to generate a DSAR response.