If you have single-pane or double-hung windows in your house, then there is always a chance of some damage on your window panes and these can happen due to dust and adverse weather conditions. You can hire a professional sash window repair service to restore your old windows. They can repair and paint your windows to make them weatherproof and they can also seal the leakages of your windows to save the power consumption cost.
Tips for sash window repair:
You can also try to repair your sash windows by removing them one by one. Apart from that, you need to remove the old paint and putty from your windows and use epoxy for the joints to make them leak-proof. In the following sections, we have provided some tips for sash window repair that will help you get a clear idea of the concept.
- First, unscrew the security fittings of your window and you can find such fittings at the lower sash of your window. Remove the cords and chains from the panes of the windows and then knot the cords to pull back the upper sashes through the frames of your window. Afterward, you can remove the parting bead from the windows and pull out the upper sash. As you did earlier, remove the cords and chains from the upper sash. Now you can remove the sash hardware and store them in a safe place.
- In the case of sash window repair, removing the glass from the frame is the most difficult task. In this case, you need to use a heat gut to soften the putty and then use a putty knife to remove the putty from the frame. Once you remove the putty, you can easily remove the glasses from your window frame. Make sure, you must mark these glasses according to their frame size because you have to install them again after you are done repairing the window.
- Similar to the previous step, you need to use your heat gun again to soften the putty or filler from the joints of your window. Use a putty knife to remove the filler and mark such panes according to their glass size.
- Now you can apply epoxy to the joints of your window. Before you apply epoxy, you need to clean the joints by using a scraper to remove the dust and dirt. Use two parts of epoxy filler to get perfect results and make a mixture. Apply this mixture into the joints and cover the sides of the panes with the same. Leave the joints and panes for few hours and then use a knife to remove the excess from the joints.
- Once the epoxy is fully cured, you can use sandpaper to remove the dust from your windowpanes. Also, use a damp cloth for the same. After removing the dust from your windowpanes, apply a coat of primer and then you can apply any putty on your panes. If you do not use primer, then the wooden panes will absorb the putty and it will turn brittle. You cannot install the glasses on these hard panes. Hence, you must always apply a coat of primer before you apply the putty.
- Now you can install the glasses into the windowpanes and fix them with metal springs or clips. Once you install the glasses, you can use a knife to remove the excess putty from the windowpanes.
It is better to hire professional sash window repair services in this regard because it will save both your time and cost.