Today, organizations, be it big or small, have understood the importance of having an intranet solution. Not only does an intranet act as a centralized knowledge base for your employees, but it also facilitates easier company-to-staff communication. Apart from this, an intranet can bring employees together, regardless of their location.
However, today, cloud technology has changed the way businesses work. It has made it possible for organizations to operate seamlessly without an office infrastructure or a central server. No matter whether it is an OS, application software, web server, virtual LAN, or IP address – everything seems to be on the cloud. At times, choosing between cloud computing intranet and on-premises intranet can be challenging.
So, to help you make an informed decision, here, we will discuss the pros and cons of on-site intranet and cloud based intranets.
Pros of on-premise intranet software:
- Improved security: Since the intranet keeps all the crucial information about the company, it is vital to take measures to ensure the content you share on your intranet is secure. And when compared to cloud-based intranets, on-premise intranets offer better security as everything is located on a single server and under your control. You can make it less accessible to hackers and other intruders.
- In-depth customization: Having software that can be customized to fit your business needs can make a huge difference. And with your own flexible on-premise intranet software, you can customize it as per your needs, which eventually enhance the collaboration options that may not be possible in the case of cloud-based intranet software.
Cons of On-Premise Intranet:
- Up-front cost: Since an on-premise intranet requires your own hardware, space, license, etc., the up-front cost of implementing an on-premise intranet can be huge. So, before you choose an on-premise intranet, make sure you decide how much you can spend on an intranet.
- Limited mobile access: In today’s digital world, mobile access to software is essential so that all your employees can access it when needed. However, it is not always possible to log into a mobile device with on-premise intranet software.
Pros of cloud-based intranet
- Cost-saving: If you don’t want to spend more on your intranet, cloud computing intranet software can be the best alternative. Since you need not spend money on hardware and incur other associated costs, it can save you up to thousands of dollars every year.
- Remote-friendly: One of the primary reasons companies implement an intranet is to enhance internal communication and collaboration between the team members, regardless of their location. So, intranet software on the cloud can be operated and accessed remotely. So, when you find difficulty managing your remote employees, cloud-based intranets can save you.
- Seamless updates: With cloud intranet software, you can ensure that all your employees get updates on time. However, on-premise intranet doesn’t offer this benefit as it requires you to send notifications to every employee individually.
Cons of cloud-based intranets
- Lack of control: Businesses pay monthly fees for cloud based intranet software. However, the features of cloud-based intranets will be the same for all its users. While it is not always a bad thing, your business may require an intranet that requires better control and extra features for its operations.
- Lack of customization: How you customize your software decides its functionality. However, cloud-based intranets can’t be completely customized. Since most service providers offer one-size-fits-all intranet service, it becomes difficult to customize your intranet as per your business requirements. At times, on-premises intranets are the better option.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of on-premises and cloud computing intranet, we hope you will make an informed decision. If you are seeking the best cloud-based intranet software, you can rely on GreenOrbit. For more information, explore the website here: https://greenorbit.com/.