Sometimes, you might want to turn your backyard region into a perfect well-furnished 1 or 2 BHK property. Often termed as backyard granny flats, these buildings don’t need any extra area and can fit into your existing ones. Whether you have your grandparents coming to stay with you permanently or want to give these places on rent to travellers, you can always get one such structure up and standing for any future use. If you are trying to build a granny flat in your backyard area, there are some legal rules to follow. You need a minimum space before you start with your granny flats construction.
Two Main Types of Granny Flats:
Granny flats often fall under two major categories. One is attached backyard granny flats and other one is known as detached granny flats.
- The attached granny flat is that design when you have the provision of adding an extension to the current home or you can even convert your existing room into granny flats.
- Another one is detached flats. In this flat design, you have to build granny flat outside your current existing home, just like in your backyards.
When you have a large patch of land under your name, detached granny flat happens to be the best choice to be considered.As you just don’t have to transform your current room into such flats then. On the other hand, if you have larger homes, then attached form of granny flats is the best option for you to be considered.
Benefits of Granny Flats for Everyone:
The backyard granny flats often termed as ADU, are beneficial for cities, residents and even the environment. These kinds of flats will help people to adjust flexibility over time. People, in need of money, can easily adjust to the granny flat and give it on rent to earn some extra bucks from there. Anyone is liable to live in a granny flat, whether adult children, parents and even caregivers.
Moreover, these flats are designed to use fewer resources like electricity and gas mainly because of their sizes. They are mostly built in bikeable and walkable areas and such residents are known to generate less environmental impact. These houses further help in reducing per capital of the residential footprint. It won’t have any particular form of infrastructural impact.
Some Requirements to Follow:
If you are planning to construct backyard granny flats, there are some mandatory requirements, which you need to follow beforehand. Once you have the permission granted by the government, constructing a granny flat turns out to be rather easier.
- On a single lot, you are allowed to build only one house and one granny flat.
- As per the state council, the maximum floor area dedicated to granny flats should not be longer than 60 square meters or the maximum flooring area. The backyard granny flats lot cannot be sub-divided. It should further meet with the planning controlling plans. Some examples are floor space ratios, setbacks and building height, open space in local plan and more.
- The combined flooring area of the granny flat and house in a backyard must comply with the flooring space area control, associated with the localized environment plans.
These are the basic requirements, which are subject to change based on the state you belong. It is really important that you get your hands on the top-notch workers, ready to construct the detached backyard granny flats for you. They know the rules well and will follow the same when you give them the opportunity to construct your flat.